Need Legal Advice?

No Matter What Your Bind We Can Help You



Notarised Affidavits, Contracts, Forms and Documents

It often occurs that a document, contract, affidavit, declaration, application, power of attorney or form needs to be signed or copied in the presence of a Notary Public. 

The Notary will authenticate your identity, as well as, the document you signed or copied in front of him or her. This document, once notarised can then be legalised so that it can be used abroad. 

If the country you intend on traveling to is a member of the Hague Convention, then you will be issued an Apostille certificate. 

However, if the country you intend to use the documents in is not a member then you will need an authentication and further legalisation from an embassy or consulate.

At Van Deventers & Van Deventers Incorporated you will per R650 per attestation which includes the consultation with the notary, attestation certificate, High Court, DIRCO and embassy legalisation at no extra cost. 

However, this amount does not cover the embassy fees. Courier of the document can be done at an additional fee.

What requirements need to be met regarding the wording of the document and witnessing of it?

The document will need to be drafted according to the local laws of the country where the transaction will occur. 

So, if you are currently living in South Africa and you own a property overseas that you would like to be managed by a person living there, then the wording of the document would need to reflect the laws of that country. 

In such cases it would be advised for the document to be prepared by lawyers of that country. After the document has been prepared, it will be sent to South Africa so that it can be signed in the presence of a Notary Public. 

What about signing requirements for the document?

Depending on the country where the signing takes place, these requirements will differ. 

The signing of the document in front of a Public Notary only might be a mandatory requirement. Otherwise, you may need to have two other witnesses, as well as, a Notary. 

The document might need to be apostilled, authenticated or legalised by the High Court, Department of Foreign Affairs. 

In some cases, it will also need to obtain further authentication or legalisation from the Embassy or Consulate of the country where the documents will be used.

It is important to find out more if your documents will need an Apostille, authentication or legalisation aside from being notarised. Even more important is having a skillful Notary to attest your documents. 

Let us help you with the attestation and legalisation of all your documents. To find out more, to schedule an appointment with us or if you have any further questions feel free to contact us.

Van Deventer & Van Deventer Incorporated - Attorneys & Notaries Cape Town & Johannesburg

Contact us for all your notarial requirements and expert legal advice.